From:
G Thomas Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:10:16 -0500
Just south of where I sit in Columbus, Ohio, USA, is the near-legendary Pee
Pee Creek. A truckstop even sells T-shirts from there. The story has
nothing to do with human-origin effluent, but is interesting just the same.
A pioneer, whose name I can't recall but we'll call him Peter Paul, canoed
up the creek seeking new land. When he arrived at a place he liked, he
carved his initials 'PP' on a tree to mark the spot. As with most of the
United States, it was already occupied by Native Americans who did not
appreciate Peter's intrusion. Supposedly Shawnee braves ran Peter back to
his canoe, where Pete escaped with his life but not his land. Later
settlers, after having robbed and cheated the Shawnee out of their land,
named the creek PP Creek because of the carved tree. The origin of the name
became lost in favor of a more humorous, if incorrect, explanation.

As an aside, many rivers, streams, and lakes in North America have Native
American names. It is bitterly ironic that we Europeans were happy to
embrace the names of the Native Americans, but not the people themselves.

And there are freshwater mussels in that creek. There Lynn, I tied it in to
Conch-L.