From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:48:35 -0600
Ross,

Your explanation of variation seems to be related to natural selection and
frequency dependent selection, and are well taken.  These biological
concepts were covered in the article I co-authored on the isolation and
evolution of the land shell genus Amphidromus in Indonesia  [Am.Conch. June
1997 (on Conch-Net: http://coa.acnatsci.org/conchnet/gold697.html  )].
What I was interested to know is whether the biological concepts which may
influence variation in land shells would also hold true for marine species?

For instance, marine mollusks are often encrusted with marine organisms, or
periostracum which completely obscure color and pattern.  Would natural
selection, or frequency dependent selection then apply to a group such as
the Cones where the periostracum obscures the color and pattern?  Since
predators are not developing a search image of the color/pattern, would
genetic drift (described in the above article) be a more appropriate theory
explaining variation? -- e.g. Conus cedonulli shows extreme variation
within one population.  The Amphidromus article states that genetic drift
tends to eliminate variation within a population and increases differences
between populations.  Confusing!

Another instance where a species exhibits a great deal of color variation
within a population is Spondylus linguaefelis.  It inhabits water deep
enough to filter out most of the warm color range that Ross refers to.
Also, the species is almost always encrusted with sponge and other
organisms, totally obscuring the color.  Yet the species which lives its
life anchored in one position is found in a broad range of colors.  Do
these colors have any function?

So again, the question restated is, "Do the biological concepts maintained
for intra and inter-population variability of land snails like frequency
dependent selection, genetic drift, and the founder effect hold true for
marine species?  Carol mentioned that she has not come across any specific
mention in the literature.  Neither have I.  Does anyone know of recent
papers related to these concepts?  Gary? Tim?  Others?  Are there any easy
answers?  Lot's of questions...

Rich
Richard L. Goldberg
Worldwide Specimen Shells
email:  [log in to unmask]
homepage:  http://www.erols.com/worldwide
"The shortest distance between two points
is under construction."  Noelie Alito