From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:47:12 -0500
>To: Conchologists of America List <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Harry G. Lee, MD" <hglee2.mindspring.com>
>Subject: Re: Vitreolina & Eulima
>
>>Dear Aaron,
>>
>>Warén (1983) gives diagnoses for these two genera.  As with the majority
of these Eulimid genera, he emphasizes reproductive anatomy, mode and
specificity of parasitism and other "biological" characters (when known)
along with shell morphology.

>>He discusses the conchology of the type of Eulima, E. glabrata (E. M.
daCosta, 1778), and cites the tall, slender shell with a high, slender
aperture, almost straight outer lip, indistinct sutures and usual prsence of
brown spiral bands.

>>Of Vitreolina he says "The shell may be recognized by being slightly to
strongly curved, oval in cross-section, completely transparent, and by the
suture, which makes distinct dips at the scars."

>>With these definitions, I call these exemplary Florida Eulimids:
>>
>>Eulima bifasciata  d’Orbigny, 1842
>>Eulima fulvocincta  C. B. Adams, 1850
>>Vitreolina arcuata  (C. B. Adams, 1850)
>>Vitreolina conica  (C. B. Adams, 1850)
>>
>>Hope this helps.  Waren has some nice drawings of shells, etc. The
citation is:

>>Anders Warén, 1983.  A generic revision of the family Eulimidae
(Gastropoda, Prosobranchia. Journal of Molluscan Studies supplement 13: 1-96.

>>I obtained my copy from Dick Petit <[log in to unmask]>.
>>
>>Harry
>>

>>At 08:44 AM 1/8/99 -0900, you wrote:
>>>Dear Conch-lers
>>>
>>>I was wondering if any of you could help me clarify the difference between
>>>Vitreolina and Eulima (fam. Eulimidae). Specifically, what is meant by
>>>"shell bent once" (Eulima) and "shell bent twice" (Vitreolina)? Even better
>>>would be a link to an on-line picture of one or both of these genra.
>>>
>>>                                                                Cheers,
>>>                                                                Aaron
>>>Aaron Baldwin
>>>http://www.ofseaandshore.com
Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm