From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:59:02 +0000
Yes,

this was in the air for some time. But as Ed told, Amorim is not giving
away. He is honest, and keeps the price according to the quantity/price
from what he buys from the fisherman. Offer and demand.

Already in Aarschot last year many were offered, but the quality was not
there. Several people repolished these shells and sold them for genuine...

Shell people have to keep this price situation in mind all the time.

Now, this is not dramatic, as the ones paying the 4000 $ for the fultoni,
in general theyalso paid the 50 $ for the perlae and the 200 $ for the
mariellae, the 200 $ for the kuroharai, the 300 $ for the midwayensis, the
20 $ for the rashleighana, the 10 $ for the artuffeli, and this list can
fill the complete page. Still many bright stars from the conchological
world can go down in price before the advanced collector should start
thinking about.

In the disussions on this subject: fultoni in the very beginning of when it
became more common, sold at 4000 medium price. I personally do not know a
single individual having paid 10000$. The 25000 $ story I do not know where
this happened.

On the other hand, I've seen a written 17th century manuscript with, if I
remember well, the price in gold guilders 16000 for Epitonium scalare.
Translated in the gold value from today, this shell has been paid around 6
000 000 $ (am I wrong ?) This was, of course, before the Bonnard sale. (See
Peter Dance for similar funny facts). The old fakes match around 20000$
when sold in London auction houses. Fakes from the fakes, sold as such by
Lan about 15 years ago went for 100 $. The real thing is underpriced, as
still very hard to find. As far as I know only a couple of fisherman know
where and how to get them in the Philippines.

Did somebody on this gopher find himself a living scalare ?

Best regards, Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.

http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/