From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:19:01 -0500
Jan and Paul,

No research, but a tiny bit of experience: I found a really lovely 6"
Lightning Whelk, Busycon contrarium (or whatever you are calling it these
days) in a shallow mangrove-lined lagoon down in one of the islands off SW
Florida about 20 years ago.  It was purest white, flushed inside with a
lovely violet shade, and the operc was very pale.  The violet has faded to
nearly pure white, even though the shell was always wrapped in tissue and
in a box out of the light.  So it happens in other families besides the
Buccinidae.  But the lavender and violet tones in some of the Latiaxis and
Drupas in my collection have not faded much in as many years.

Lynn Scheu