From:
Barbara Haviland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:28:05 -0500
I just received an e-mail warningabout a new virus: The message is as
follows:
INTERNET VIRUS
If you receive an email titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO NOT open it. It will
erase everything on your hard drive. Forward this letter out to as many
people as you can.  This is a new, very malicious virus andnot many people
know about it. This information was announced yesterday morning from IBM,
please share it with everyone that might access the Internet.  Once again,
pass this along to EVERYONE in your address book so that this may be
stopped.  Also, do not open or even look at any mail that says "RETURNED OR
UNABLE TO DELIVERY" This virus will attach itself to your computer
components and render them useless.  Immediately delete any mail items that
say this.  AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there
is NO remedy for it at this time. Please practice cautionary measures and
forward this to all your online friends ASAP.

This I just received, and a few days someone said on conch-l that you could
not get a virus by reading email.  I am pretty knew with this computer
stuff--if this fact or fiction.
Now I really wonder about this?

Any help from the computer genius out there on conch-l that can shed some
light on this, and it doesn't have to have any color.

Haviland