From:
Emilio F Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:31:15 -0600
Many of us have heard of the incredible voracity of Euglandina rosea which,
by the way,also inhabits Louisiana. However, the following has to top most
accounts: Years ago I  asked a friend from the university, who was a
herpetologist, to bring me some land snails from a collecting trip he was
taking into Mexico. He collected a Euglandina species (not rosea) and put
it in a small sack together with a small reptile. Back home, when he opened
the sack, he found out that the Euglandina had eaten some of the skin off
the belly of the poor little thing. He never forgave me because this was
one of his more valuable species, and the particular area that the
Euglandina devoured was the most important to him. It had to do with the
counting of scales, or something like that.

Emilio (Garcia)

Emilio F. Garcia
115 Oak Crest Dr.
Lafayette, LA 70503