From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:42:29 +0000
    Could someone please look up the laws regarding species on the CITES
(endangered spp) list??  I know it is perfectly legal to simply own
their remains or products (or else a lot of piano keys would have to be
removed!!!), and that it is illegal to import them into any country.
The gray area seems to be whether or not it is legal to sell them (i
steer clear of them as a matter of principle, but  there are those who
think if they own something, they should have a right to sell it, if
they choose).
     I have heard that it is legal, in the USA, to sell endangered spp
products, if one can demontrate that they were "collected" or
"harvested" before the date they were declared "endangered" (whether or
not they actually are endangered, is another issue for another time -
many species get put on the CITES list for reasons other than their
actually bieng endangered, while the vast majority (most likely 90% or
more ) of all species which actually or probably are endangered are too
poorly studied to ever make it to CITES - most will become extinct
before they are even known to exist, by scientists!!), but if the
documentation is lacking, it is as illegal as if they were post-CITES
obtained.  Could someone please confirm or disconfirm this??

-Ross M.

P.S.:  There are members of this list from many countries- could some of
them perhaps also dig up the laws on CITES- designated spp for their
countries??  I will do so for Canada, and report back.