From:
Brian McElaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 17:36:04 -0600
Although I have not been able to read all the preceeding messages about
Florida collecting I thought I'd give a little information based on my
recent trip.

I stayed for a few days in Key West and then drove to Marco Island where my
parents stay. Concerned about collecting laws, I contacted the Department of
Marine Resources and the office of the marine patrol in Marathon by
telephone. I was treated very politely and all involved were helpful. I was
told that marine collecting in the counties I visited was limited to two
specimens of any one species. Strombus gigas cannot be collected. A
saltwater fishing license is required for marine shells ( I got a three day
license at the K-Mart in Key West for $6.50). Live shelling is reportedly
prohibited only at Sanibel. These folks could cite no controlling authority
regulating freshwater or terrestrial collecting in Florida.

I should note that there was a small sign stating that live collecting was
prohibited at Tiger Tail Beach, a fairly good collecting area on Marco
Island. Based on what I learned from the officials I contacted, this is
probably not enforceable.