From:
Mary Cecile Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:38:57 EST
I have to put in my 2 cents worth on this issue - I too have been increasingly
annoyed by the feeling of being manipulated through a museum exhibit that
caters more to the limited attention spans of children and the perceived need
to "entertain" the public.  Taken to it's extreme,  museums will become
another Disneyland, and we'll be moved through the exhibits on treadmills.
Having done my fair share of classroom teaching,  I can also vouch for the
fact that the behavior of children in groups can be very different than the
behavior those same children exhibit individually with their parents. I also
know many parents who schedule every moinute of thier children's lives, so as
to avoid the dreaded circumstance of spending idle time alone with them.
Because so many children in school today have been passively entertained (TV,
videos, etc. ) almost from birth, they tend to expect the adults and teachers
in their lives to deliver the goods in a way that entertains them and captures
their attention, no work on their part being necessary.  There is so much in
the average child's environment loudly and constantly clamoring for their
attention that it' not surprising they're banging their heads on the museum
cases.  What is needed is for parents to recognize that children need
protection from the onslaught of our overly stimulating society. Instead, as a
society we continue to ratchet up the excitement level in the mistaken belief
we are giving children what they want.  Their behavior is our reward.
In Geerat Vermeij's book "A Scientific Life", he traces his interest in shells
to a small collection kept on the windowsill of his teacher's classroom. Being
blind, he learned about the shells by handling them .  It made such a deep and
lasting impression on him that he dedicated his life to their study.  He even
includes a picture of this teacher in his book!  It certainly illustrates what
one teacher and a few shells can do, in the hands and mind of a receptive and
thoughtful child with time on his hands to wonder and imagine.  It's a
wonderful book.

-Mary Graham in NH