From:
Nancye Duhon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:24:12 -0600
Andrew Rindsberg, Mary Graham, and others,
        I cannot agree with you more that perhaps there are too many interactive
displays in museums.  Very often "hands-on" means "brains off".  I have
observed this for myself many times and was sadly disappointed in what
could have been a worthwhile learning experience.  I am a teacher of gifted
students in grades 1-8.  Just this past weekend I took 30 students on a two
day field trip to Houston.  While there we visited three of Houston's
finest museums as well as the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto
Monument.  Much preteaching had been done so that the students would get
more out of the trip.  I noticed that unless we were being led by a tour
guide or docent the students moved from exhibit to exhibit searching for
the ones that they could "play with".  Often they had no idea what they
were playing with.  They did not take the time to read the accompanying
written material.  If an exhibit did not do something, they were off to
something else.  Even though I know that they learned a great deal from
each place we went, they could have learned much more had the museums not
been so interactive.  Kids want to be entertained.  They don't want to do
it for themselves.  They are used to split second action on video games,
computers, and television.  But if the interactive exhibits are not there,
they will take the time to look at the still exhibits.  And remember, I
teach gifted kids.  They are all good readers and independent learners.
AND I might add, all of my students were well-behaved.  Today's children
are conditioned to expect spoon-fed entertainment.  But perhaps it is too
much of a good thing.

Nancye Duhon,
Gueydan, Louisiana