From:
Lucy Clampit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:23:58 -0600
John, you asked for this:  My name is Lucy Clampit.  I am an elementary school librarian in Houston TX.  This is my 33rd year in education, and things have changed tremendously.  Until society's (parent's, kid's, teacher's, administrator's, everyone's) attitude toward education changes, things are not going to get better. Respect for education has decreased over the years. At my school we try very hard to teach our students values and discipline, but we can't do it alone.  It IS a community effort.  I also feel that upon high school graduation or dropping out that students should be required to spend 2 years in a military type situation.  I believe that it would improve discipline.  Former students who had problems in school have come back and told me how much the military helped them.

My school district has a science center that most students from throughout the district visit each school year.  It is actually a small museum. The grounds have been turned into an arboretum. It is staffed by certified teachers who teach lessons from the science curriculum.  They also loan and provide lots of hands-on materials for the teachers to use in the classroom.  It is a great experience for our students whose parents cannot or will not expose them to these things.  They will get some of my shells when I decide to dispose of my collection.

At my school we have a program called Fabulous Friday.  Teachers and volunteers teach students fun but educational things for one hour on three consecutive Fridays.  We've had classes in cooking, counted cross stitch, origami and many other things.  A past principal taught car care - things like checking the air in tires and changing the oil.  Of course, I do ocean critters (not just shells).  Kids love to use the 100 foot tape to measure a whale.  We eat Campbell's clam chowder.  They make something like a diorama.  We watch a video titled The Starfish.  It is only 7 minutes long, but it shows the starfish trying to find a clam to eat.  It also shows scallops swimming away.  I've had it for sometime and don't remember the company that made it.  Your public library might have it.

Anyone who is concerned about the future of our kids and/or shell collecting can find a way to help.  Volunteer at a school.  It doesn't have to be about shells.  However as several people have already said, many schools would love to have you share your shell knowledge.  Public libraries usually have kid's programs where you can speak to students.  I have even shared my ocean stuff with summer school classes.  You just have to look for opportunities.

Lucy Clampit
Houston, TX