From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 02:39:58 +1000
Michael asked : "Does anyone have a list of snails that might
inflict a sting?? "

The following Conus are known to be capable of inflicting a sting:
C. aulicus
C. geographus
C. gloriamaris
C. omaria
C. striatus
C. textile
C. tulipa

Note that C. textile is a mollusc hunting cone not a fish hunting cone.
There has been controversy in the past as to the identity of C. textile
being responsible for human envenomations. An account of some fatal and
non-fatal human envenomations is given on my Cone Shell and Conotoxins
HomePage. http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/
follow the link to "Cone Shells"  and "Revenge of the Killer Snails" or go
to the direct link at URL
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/deathby.html

It is possible but unlikely that an individual would be "hypersensitive" to
a particular cone shell venom as the active components are small peptide
conotoxins that act by targeting a variety of different ion channels and
close down the nervous system. These conotoxins are not known to be
particularly antigenic.

The accounts given in the links above will provide you with a graphical and
historical account of Conus envenomation.

Safety Procedures for dealing with envenomation by Conidae are listed at
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/1st-aid.html

Take care out there :)

Bruce