From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:50:15 -0800
Hello all,

My request for information regarding Pectens was so successful that I
thought I'd hit you guys up for more. Specifically, I'm interested in the
habitats of two Busycon species whose range extends down into Northeast
Florida: B. carica and canaliculatum (unless the names have been changed).

I just happened to be watching a show on PBS and they showed fishermen
bringing in a huge load of (what looked to be) carica and dumping them into
their boat. I had no idea that this species was so abundant, considering
that back in the 1960s and 70s I spent quite a while looking for them
around Jacksonville. The same show had some biologist showing the host a
specimen of what had to be canaliculatum because of the size of the
operculum. He told her that this was a very common species from the Mid
Atlantic to Florida. At this point I started to take notice of what I was
seeing, but the show moved on to native plants.

Okay, who out there knows where to find these guys? I'd like to get some
pictures (still and video) of the critters in their habitat, as well as a
couple of specimens. Are they really that common or was the show being a
bit misleading? I am planning to do some more exploring of the Northeast
Florida coast and maybe Southeast Georgia, so I would appreciate any and
all information, though you need not disclose any secret spots you might
have.

Once again, many thanks to all for your past help, advice and valuable
information. It is, believe me, greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida