From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:48:32 +0900
> On the other hand, most authors and photographers forbear the
> 'unauthorized' use of their work if it reinforces the point(s)
> being made (and doesn't diminish their royalties too much -- and
> especially if it helps).

It is not going to help royalties any if pictures are lifted out of a work
and intentionally passed on for publication unaccredited.
For the record : The Living Pleurotomariidae cost an absolute bomb to make.
All those photographs are originals - unpublished elsewhere - which I
schlepped twice round the globe to take. When the costs of production, our
salaries and so on are taken into account, the chances of that book ever
making a profit are nil. This makes it all the more galling when people
pinch bits out of it and pass them off as their own. Any idea that writing
shell books is a way to get rich can be dispelled by the briefest
examination of our accounts. We are not averse to people using our images,
but we need to know which ones and for what purpose beforehand. Like any
other publisher.