From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:18:11 -0700
I think you are right, and that one of the biggest factors is competition from far
more recreational pursuits available than were ever thought possible even a
generation ago.  My dad thinks that the amount of Choice in our society today is
not necessarily a reason for rejoice. I see the effect on this of children with
their toys.  Toys are not "special" anymore.  Kids are bombarded by new toys and
new ways to get a thrill every ten minutes.  Nothing has lasting allure.  There is
only the short wait for the NEXT BIG THING.  It's too bad.  By the way I'm not that
old.  I grew up in the sixties and all my toys were special and I remember them all
(or I think I do anyway).
Nora
Calgary, Alberta