From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:56:09 -0500
Sorry - I have to disagree.....Our daughter started collecting shells on the
beach at 2 years old.  She could identify shells by their scientific names by
the age of 5.    She learned to snorkel when she was 7 and was SCUBA diving at
14.    She absolutely loved  it.   She was involved in lots of school
activities too....but her shell collecting hobby was used constantly in the
class room.   In high school her marine biology teacher turned the section on
mollusks over to her to teach.  She used the nautilus for her final in
Humanities.   It all ties in.

We have a jr. shell club in our club.  The young parents are very involved with
it.
The juniors meet one hour before our regular meeting and they love it.  They
can hardly wait from month to month for the next meeting.  They have their own
newsletter and t shirts and they helped with the children's area at our shell
show this year. They had so much fun.    I am amazed at how much they are
learning.  Having the meeting just before our regular meeting means the parents
don't have to make two trips....they just have to come a little earlier.    We
do not allow parents to just drop off their kids (no baby sitting services).
The parents stay and help with the craft projects, etc. and often learn
something themselves from the advanced collector who teaches the session.
These children often participate in our field trips.     I guess it just
depends on what priorities you have.   Our whole household revolves around our
shells even after 35 years of collecting.   There are always shells being
cleaned in the kitchen...shells being labeled by the computer....new shell
exhibits being worked....more cataloging to be done, etc.
These same children are involved in sports, school activities and indian
maidens, etc.

--
Jim and Bobbi Cordy
of Merritt Island, Florida.