From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:19:37 -0800
To all Conch-L subscribers interested in Ohio fossils:

The Ohio Division of Natural Resources, Division of Geological Survey
published Bulletin 70 "Fossils of Ohio" by Rodney Feldman (editor) in late
1996.  It has over 600 pages and 232 plates of fossils from Cambrian to
Pleistocene with an emphasis on Paleozoic (Cambrian through Permian)
invertebrates & vertebrates. Priced at only $18.00 (+ tax and handling) it
is quite a bargain considering the price of excellent references these days!
Order through the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, 4383 Fountain Square
Dr., Columbus, OH 43224, (614) 265-6576 (V), (614) 447-1918 (F),
[log in to unmask] (e-mail).  Happy fossiling.

Aloha,

Lindsey T. Groves

At 05:50 PM 3/22/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear all, I have recently been doing some fossiling up here in
>Columbus, Ohio, and I need some help. The other day I broke open a rock
>with sponge fossils all over it, and inside was a lot of deeply grooved,
>clam looking
>things. I am not sure that they are clams, though. I have heard of an
>ancient race of shells called "Lamp shells" and although they look like
>bivalves, they are not related.
>I read that they existed in large numbers several million years ago, and
>that there are only a few species living in the deep parts of the worlds
>oceans today. Now, here is a more detailed discription of them:
>
>Cockel shaped, about 1/2" long,
>with deep grooves running vertically up the shell.
>
>I also found a little pecten in between two tree roots. Here is its
>discription:
>
>Wings equal, with fine vertical lines running up shell, about 1/2" long.
>Reddish brown.
>
>My uncle has a scanner; I will try and scan these, but since we are going
>back down to Florida in two days and my uncle lives in Ohio, I may not be
>able to.
>
>Thanks,
>James

>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Lindsey T. Groves
Collection Manager Malacology/Invert. Paleo.
900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
Voice: (213) 763-3376 (Mal) 744-3485 (IP)
Fax: (213) 746-2999/7646
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]