From:
Alex Fraissinet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:44:52 +0200
Jim and Bobbi Cordy wrote after a long discussion:
>We go to the Bahamas several times a year and there are Strombus gigas
>everywhere. However the grass beds are also in good condition.
>
>AND every day we see the Conch boats come him loaded with piles of conch
>that the natives bring in.
>
>The grass beds off Florida and the Keys unfortunately are VERY dead.
>
>The areas we go to in the Bahamas are sparsely populated.....there is no
>dredging or beach nourishment of artifically changing the beaches, etc.

We found out that some people try to sell the meat of Strombus peruvianus.
Our customs received a container with over 30 tons of only the meat. The
customs don't trust it.... After research they had to burn 30 ton of
Strombus gigas! How much Stombus gigas is 30.000 kilo? How long can people
act like this before gigas is no more...

Alex from Holland