Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:15:10 -0500
Michael LaFosse wrote:

> Robert & Betty Lipe wrote:
>
>      Dear Michael,  Have you seen quite a few of the two
>      species?  I have
>      seen many of each and I see more differences than
>      similarities.  I am
>      curious as to how much experience you have had with these
>      species?
>
> Over the past twenty years or so, I have seen and handled many dozens
> of specimens of each.  I was impressed when series of Cypraea
> stercoraria began to be offered in many color forms and sizes, in the
> mid 70's I believe, and I have always loved this particular cowry.
>
> Regarding Cypraea mus: I have seen quite a bit of variability in the
> shells of this species and I always appreciate the fact that the
> markings and glaze of the adult shells are so strikingly similar, in
> many ways, to those on adult Cypraea teulerei (I am looking at one of
> each right now and side by side they visually imply a strong
> kinship).  It is interesting that these two species, C. mus and C.
> teulerei, are oceans apart and restricted in their respective
> territories, which makes me regard several of my C. mus samples with
> suspicion on the C. stercoraria influence.  "Pigmy" forms of C.
> stercoraria, when placed side by side with my C. mus, summon
> suspicions very strongly.  If we disregard the teeth, which we
> certainly do when we compare C. mus and C. teulerei, there is a lot
> left to make a link.
>
> I only believe that C. mus is genetically capable, for what ever
> reason of historical kinsmanship, of exhibiting morphological traits
> of both C. teulerei and C. stercoraria, and that I would not be
> surprised if future study of the animals reveals a much stronger,
> common, genetic heritage.
>
> Thank you to all who responded; it was very helpful for me to think
> out loud about this with you.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Michael G. LaFosse
> www.origamido.com
>
>      Since I do sell shells, I have many pass through my hands.
>      I first
>      started in the shell business after a trip to West Africa in
>      the
>      seventies in which I bought a lot of shells, and many of
>      them were Cy.
>      Stercoraria.  I brought back a lot of shells, so I went into
>      business.
>      I think mus, teulerei, and fultoni look very similar.
>      That's my 2
>      cents.
>
>      Bob Lipe
>
>      www.theshellstore.com
>      The Shell Store
>      348 Corey Ave
>      (727) 360-0586 Fax (727)360-3668

Dear Bob and Betty. it was nice Hearing your ewperience, strength and
hope in the shelling areana. I guess you were not referring to me about
the cyps.  I do not know much about these except that they are truley
beutiful``I know it wasn't this michael you are refering to but I would
like to get to knwo ya'll better and shell with some folks who know
there busuiness and their shells,  I would like to come uu your way and
see how the new store is Going! Then eat at Le Coissant so I can teach
them a real southern, early mornin, busicuits and gravy as well as
wonreful french toast, and ham. I apologive that I am such an amature
that I don't know the commone names. I will gladly work as a
first/second mate and pay for passage, heck, I can even cook like a
gourmet! Think About it???  Ciao...Michael Huggins, Sunmrise,  fl
(Alwaywarm ans shelly)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!