From:
Stephen McMahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:09:16 EDT
Erika,(and fellow CONCH'l'ers)

          The beaches on the Oregon Coast are fine. Very little of the oil
escaped from the vessel and what did has already been cleaned up. You may
encounter a few small oil balls but I doubt it. We really dodged a bullet on
this one. The stern section of the ship is still beached by Coos Bay and will
be salvaged this summer at the owner's expense. The rest was hauled out
(after a couple of trys) 200 miles and sunk by the navy. It took over 75
shells and a 1.5 million dollar torpedo but they got the job done, the owner
gets that bill too.

So don't worry about our coast being trashed. We just had our annual beach
clean up day and hauled out many tons of beach litter. Enjoy yourself and
contact me if you need any more details.

Stephen McMahan

In a message dated 4/16/99 12:36:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,