From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:00:14 -0500
Hi all,
Below is a message that came to me - I don't know the answer - but I bet
someone on this list does.  If you do please drop Andy an email.  Thanks
Amy
PS I will be at a meeting in Colorado next week so don't be upset if I
don't answer email at once.

>From: Andy McRory <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: some questions
>Date: Thu, 26 Feb 98 13:26:00 PST
>Encoding: 25 TEXT
>

>Amy,
>
>My name is Andy McRory, and I'm a writer in the course development dept.
>at GIA (Gemological Inst. of America) here in Southern California. I'm
>currently doing a series of sidebars for a textbook on pearls. One of my
>sidebars concerns a rare "pearl" (in quotes because it's not technically
>a nacreous pearl) that is produced by the volute melo melo (the Indian
>Volute, I think it's commonly called).
>
>Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I can't find squat about this
>beastie, and calls to Scripps Birch Aquarium and the Los Angeles Mus of
>Nat history have proved fruitless...
>
>Then, on the net, I noticed CONCH-L coming up a lot in my searches. I
>would be very grateful for any basic information about melo melo,
>including size, habitat, feeding/reproducing/anatomy,
>fisheries/harvesting, pearls, etc...
>
>Really, I'd be happy with just about anything as my only source right now
>is the article on the pearls of Vietnam that was in the July '97
>Smithsonian.
>
>Thanks,
> -Andy McRory

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes