From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 19:17:07 -0400
Dear Scott,

Martins (1998)* demonstrated that Ellobium dominicense (Férussac, 1821) was
a senior synonym of E. pellucens (Menke, 1830).  I have shells from Manatee,
Lee, Collier and Monroe Cos., FL.  Martins records E. d. from Dade and Levy
Cos. as well and from the West Indies and Yucatan to Cananeia, Brasil (at
the Tropic of Capricorn).  My only living material was collected by Phil
Poland, who may still be with us on Conch-L.  He took these animals above
the high-tide line under rotting vegetation (sea grape leaves, etc.).  I
have Bcc'ed him a copy of this missive.

Phil and I have found Morrison (1958)** helpful (and enjoyable) reading for
Coffeebean fieldwork.

*Martins, A. M. de F., 1996.  Anatomy and systematics of the western
Atlantic Ellobiidae (Gastropoda: Pulmonata). Malacologia 37(2): 163-332.

**Morrison, J. P. E., 1959.  Ellobiid and other ecology in Florida. Nautilus
71(4): 118-124. April.

Harry

At 09:46 PM 5/2/99 EDT, you wrote:

>Got a question for all of the Florida collectors.
>Where has anyone collected Ellobium pellucens?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott
>Florida
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm