Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 10:55:20 -0400
mabcab wrote:

> Hello to all on Conch-L.  I'm a fairly new subscriber and have been
> reading and learning on Conch-L for a couple of weeks.  It seems that
> there are a lot of freshwater experts on here so I have a question
> aimed at them.  I have an opportunity to do some collecting in
> Arkansas this year.  Do any of you know the collecting regulations
> currently in effect there?  Also any good collecting sites, if
> collecting is permitted?  Thanks.
>
> Carol Bodine

If your anywhere near Blytheville, Gosnell (MO)or Osceola, on the
Northeast side of AR, about an hour North of Memphis where the
Mississippi River is somewhat accessable, there are strands of woods
where there are some snails. They are especially active during the
summer when it's hot, humid and the rain has been steady for awhile.
Just east of Blytheville there are several grain elevators right on the
river, follow the little road past those going south along the river and
not far past the cattle crossing and the first picnic tables ( It's been
a few years so I don't know if the tables are still there) wander
westward alittle towards the woods and you should be able to see an old
tornado path where it looks like the hand of God pushed all the trees
and vegetation to the side.  It runs only a half mile or so but the way
everything is exposed and the new growth over the years makes it a
fertile area for all kinds of biological exploration.  I hope this
helps. Good Luck....  Michael, Sunrise, FL