Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:58:32 EDT
O.K. all you conch-l er's.  Here is a chance to finally find out about the
differences or sameness of the different populations of Lions' Paws.
  I got a note recently from a friend of mine who was contacted by a
researcher in Brazil. The researcher, Guilherme Rupp is doing DNA studies on
the populations of Nodipecten nodosus/fragosus. He needs some Florida
Nodipectens and the animals preserved a certain way. If there is anyone out
there who can get any that are in a living state and would be willing to
preserve them in ethanol, ( I can send exact instructions) please please let
me know. I will send you his address and you can be a part of the solution to
this Nodipecten  controversy.
  He would be willing to pay a small fee for handling and I don't think he
needs more than 15 or 20 specimens but he does need pretty accurate locality
data. I don't think he needs lat. & long. but I think he needs depth and
geographical data.  I am trying to convince him to include in his study some
Nodipectens from the East Coast of Florida and some from the Gulf.
   Put your thinking caps on and see if anyone can figure out how to help
him.
Hopefully,
     Carole Marshall