From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:24:26 +0000
>Dear Guido,
>
>Is it your experience that seperate, distinct populations of C. cucumis and
>C. cymbium have been found to exist at the same local?  Do intergrades
>represent interbreeding or just an overlap of the natural variation of two
>morphologically similar species?
>
>Scott Jordan

Dear Scott and Volute lovers,

the maps in Poppe & Goto for the genus Cymbium are mainly based on the maps
from Bruynseels, mixed up with locality data from other workers and a
little experience myself in West Africa.
Now, it has to be said that at the time of Bruynseels, he got most of his
shells and information on these from fisherman of Spain, working grounds at
2000-4000 km from their homeport and at that time GPS as it is now known
was not there. While most of his information can be regarded as correct,
details he did not have.
Probably both live together, but I've never seen a shell of which we can
say: this one shows characteristics of both. (as can easily be said in
Lambis or in Cypraea hybrids).
So it probably overlap of the natural variation as you suggest.
The opinion of Pat is wanted on this matter.

Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/go/iconography/index.html