From:
"Kevin S. Cummings" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:43:35 -0500
Conch-lers,

I'm a few days behind in my Conch-L digests but I offer this alternative to
the answers received to Nora's questions below regarding "Mystery Snails".
I would suggest that they may not be either Ampullaria or Pomacea but
Cipangopaludina chinensis malleatus, a viviparid from Asia called the
Chinese mystery snail.  It has been introduced across the country and has
just recently (last 10 years or so) been spotted in Illinois.  I now have
specimens from about 6 different drainages.  The thing that points away
from this is the color morphs mentioned in Nora's post.  All of the
Cipangopaludina I've seen are olive brown.   Just another possibility to
consider.

Kevin