From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:34:06 -0400
Hello Gang: A Blatant Endorsement

Over a month ago, Emilio Jorge Power commented on "Iconography of the
Harpidae" which he had received in about one and a half weeks. Well, the
mail to Lancaster is not that good, and it took five weeks to get it. But
it certainly was worth the wait. Except for a handful of pictures of
rarities copied from others, the approximately 350 digital pictures are
superb. I think we are entering a new age of great molluscan color
illustrations and I'm looking forward to future families in this series.

There are 47 species covered: 5 Austroharpa, 12 Harpa plus 4 forms, 26 (!)
Morum, 2 of which might possibly be forms. This compares with Walls (1980)
who listed 2 Austroharpa (one has been named since), 8 Harpa, and no Morum
(because they were placed in Cassidae until 1987). The Compendium (1982)
lists 12 Morum (and 5 have been named since 1981).

Identification is made easier by plates of similar species side-by-side for
comparison. And since they are loose-leaf, several pages can be laid out
side-by-side. For the first time, I'm convinced that the Morum really are
not all alike... I wish the text were a little more extensive to help in
identification and I would also like an index for easier navigation;
perhaps one is included in future plans, Guido?

One drawback in the US: the pages are in metric size, so that the
Iconography binder is necessary (is it available yet, Guido?). Does anyone
in the US make metric 4-ring binders?

Only 47 species and forms in this beautiful family (Morum watsoni is known
only from the holotype)-why do I have less than half of that number in 15
years of collecting? The downside of all this is that this book will likely
spark interest in the family and increase demand for the rarities.

A Conchological Iconography - Family Harpidae directed by Guido Poppe &
Klaus Groh.
$46.80 including snail postage

http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/

John Wolff