From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:08:05 +0000
I have a question for Bobbi or Kim or others regarding the specifics of
California State Fish and Game regulations regarding shoreline
collecting.  The actual regulation reads as follows  (March 1998
booklet):

Section 29.05 (b)
“Tidal invertebrates may not be taken in any tidepool or other areas
between the high tide mark ... and 1,000 feet seaward and lateral to the
low tide mark... except as follows:

        29.05(b)(1) (specifies rules for state parks, national parks, etc.)

        29.05(b)(2)  “In all other areas, except where prohibited within marine
life refuges or other special closures: Abalone, limpets, moon snails,
turban snails, chiones, clams cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native
oysters, octopuses, squid, crabs, lobsters, shrimps, sand dollars, sea
urchins and worms may be taken.”

It seems to me that the regulations allow the collecting of some
gastropods within the 1,000 foot limit (limpets, moon snails and turban
snails- there is a moratorium on abalone) in some areas.  The selection
of allowed species is interesting- why turban snails and not Tegulas,
for example?  If crabs are allowed, can one collect hermit crabbed
shells in tidepools in California?

Any thoughts?

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, CA   (not within 1,000 feet of the low tide mark)