From:
Emilio F Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 07:38:31 -0600
Bob,

I have a number of specimens from Donna and Riley Balck's dredgings in the
the Gulf of Mexico, most of them from around 100 to 125 fathoms.They, Jim
Moore and Tom McGinn (from Louisiana), did a lot of dredging off Cape San
Blas in the late sixties.  The Cape is the point in the map that sticks out
of St. Joe Bay, Gulf County, Florida. I have Chicoreus(Siratus)beauii from
125 fathoms, almost your exact locality. I also have such interesting
species as Conus villepini, Calliostoma bairdi rosewateri, Fusinus stegeri
and Ptychosalpinx globulus. De Soto Canyon is araound that area, and it
holds a rich molluscan fauna, including the one and only Haliotis
pourtalesii.

Emilio Garcia

>Back in 1979, I obtained two specimens of Siratus beaui Fischer & Bernardi,
>1857. They were dredged in 720 ft. of water, Gulf of Mexico off Cape San
>Blas. I no longer collect Murex and had put them aside and forgot about them.
>For some reason assumed the Cape San Blas area was off NW Florida. Believe
>the Black's were living in central or south Florida so can't imagine that
>they came up to NW Florida. Does anyone out there have shells from the
>Black's, and if so did any come from Cape San Blas and where is this
>location? At 720 ft. of water, one would have to go way out in the NW area of
>the Gulf, to reach that depth.
>
>Best Regards,
>Bob Granda
>Panama City, Florida