From:
Pat Draeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:12:51 EDT
To any Terebra experts out there,

    Last August, I collected several Terebra species at Jaco Beach, Costa
Rica.  Although they were beached, they're in decent shape.  I got Keen's Sea
Shells of Tropical West America to identify the shells, but the book is old
(1958), and the black and white pictures of terebras are smudged, and it does
not help there are so many species of Terebra in the region.  Frankly, I am
stumped. I'll try my best to describe two of them.
    The first kind is small from 14 to 23mm in length.  It seems there is no
subsutural band of nodes or any other sculpture, but there is a distinct
brown band under the suture.  The body whorl is almost twice as long as the
rest of the whorls.  There are weak axial ribs that are present on every
whorl, but stronger on the earlier whorls.  The most distinguishing feature
are very thin, wavy brown lines that run axially over the off white surface
of the shell.
    The second kind is between 22 and 25mm in length.  This has a very
distinct subsutural band of small rectangular white nodes that actually
protrude a little from the surface of the shell.  Between each node is a
small area of creamish brown.  There are 14-16 moderately strong axial ribs
per whorl, and a faint spiral sculpture on all of the whorls, about 12 on the
body whorl.  The color is a creamish white with many light brown axial
stripes.  I'm thinking it is T. variegata.
    If you know your Terebridae and need more info than my terrible
descriptions give, e-mail me privately and I will either send a picture or
the actual specimen.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick in Indy