From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:09:24 +1200
Thanks for encouraging notes! I know such taxonomic musings as these can
get right up the noses of those who will defend the status quo to the
death, but it is important not to encourage taxonomic stability at the
expense of better understanding. At the same time, excessive splitting is
also undesirable, because it can hide relationships. The Australian, New
Zealand and Japanese workers have a history of splitting ad infinitum.
Split far enough and the end result is that every genus is monotypic,
rendering the system of binomial nomenclature a joke.

Taxonomy IS subjective, but I feel that we should bring/keep the
subjectivity to a minimum. Genera/subgenera can be very difficult in this
regard.

At least the status of subspecies are more clear. Subspecific names have NO
taxonomic standing and are generally frowned upon by authorities. Best not
to use them; if definitely conspecific, consider the subspecific name an
outright synonym. If consistently and distinctly different, consider it a
separate species.

Andrew