From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:58:56 -0600
Andrew, Pete, and Art:

Don't forget subspecies in defining almost identical populations that are
stratigraphically separated.  I've done it myself where I have a major
population of Olives that define a species in the lower Miocene and 1
specimen from the middle Miocene that is almost identical, I called it a
subspecies because of the stratigraphic importance of the species surviving
not only time but also changes in substrate and cooling temperatures - a
true survivor!  Then there are those species which have apparently
transcended time unchanged, one being right up your alley Art , Cirsotrema
dalli Rehder, 1945, from the Chipola formation lower Miocene to the Recent.
 Sorry if my nomenclature is out-of-date.

Paul