From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:41:26 -0500
Good observation Sir Art, but it's believed that the spawn of the zebra
mussel came in from the ships ballast. Large ships have voids that hold tons
of water to stabilize the ship while empty or when needed. once the ship
reloads cargo or buoyancy is changed (ships traveling from fresh to salt
water will need to adjust ballast as ship in salt water floats higher then
in fresh) the voids are pumped out and thus the spawn gets introduced. The
origin of the spawn is believed to be the black sea. Mark James Bethke