Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:08:02 EDT
Calling all you cone guys and gals out there!

I have a Cone labeled Conus textile abbreviata, Dautzenberg, 1937. Locality:
Africa, Mozambique, Santa Carolina Island. Taken under dead coral on a very
low spring tide.

The only cone refference book I have is RKK's Manual of The Living Conidae.
In the entire section of the textile group there is no mention of the
"abbreviata" form.
The index does list a Conus abbreviata Dautzenberg, 1937...but gives it as a
synonym of Conus ammiralis, Linne 1758.

When I look up Conus ammiralis, I find a mention of Conus textile var.
abbreviata (nom. nov. for Conus vicarius, Lamarck).  Looking up Conus
vicarius I find it is a synonym for Conus ammiralis.

Any help here would be appreciated. My shell certainly looks like a stout
form of textile...it does not look like an ammiralis.

Thanks for any info,

Martin Tremor
St. Petersburg, FL