From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:59:42 -0400
Dear All:

Another story about unusual shells, well maybe not unusual shells but
unusual habitats.

During a vacation on Sanibel years ago, I was collecting in shallow water
in the vicinity
of Blind Pass Bridge (it connects Sanibel and Captiva Islands) and saw a
golf ball in about two feet of water on the muddy sand.  Picking it up, I
can amazed to find it was the habitat of three I've crepidulas one on top
of the other in diminishing sizes.  If you don't know anything about the
sex life of crepidulas you should read up on it - its a little different.
I took the three shells off, cleaned them, and then glued them back in the
same position; and they are great for show and tell.  Invariable someone
will ask "How do you suppose a golf ball got there?"  Well, there is a golf
course on Captiva but its not that close.  I think some golfer just had a
bad day and was so disgusted that when he drove over the bridge, he just
picked up the ball and threw it out the window.

Betty Jean, The Tall One.