From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:52:22 +1000
Grace L Johns asked about articles and links to information about Medicines
from the Sea.

There was an excellent article some time back by Allan Harvey which is on
the web (will try to locate it). Also three articles on medical applications
of molluscs on Kansas Shell Club ?? site. Help needed on both of these.
The recent articles that I know about are listed below. I too would be
interested in others that members of CONCH-L may know about.   Good reading
!  Bruce Livett.

Here are a few to get you started.

"TRAWLING for TREASURE and PLEASURE: MARINE BIOPROSPECTING" by Rob Capon
(University of Melbourne, Australia)  - talk presented to The Royal Society
of Victoria, November 1998.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~rsvinc/ord1198.htm

"Drugs from Marine Species" - by William Fenical, Ph.D. (Scripps Institute,
CA, USA)
http://206.139.182.46/website2/bio_fenical.html
complete with Audio Presentation http://206.139.182.46/website2/fenical.ram

"Sea and Ye Shall Find" by Steve Mirsky in Sea Frontiers - Spring 1996.
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/~bgl/seadrugs.htm

Beauty and the Beast: Molecular Prospecting for Novel Drugs from the Sea -
by Bruce Livett (University of Melbourne, Australia) - talk presented to The
Royal Society of Victoria, March 1997.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~rsvinc/ord397.htm

Cone Shells and Conotoxins -
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/

"Cone Shells and Conotoxins - Medical Applications": Radio 3RRR fm
Melbourne. Interview with Dr. Bruce Livett, 10.30 am, 7 June 1998
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/marinara.html
Audio: http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/interview.wav

Updated information on cone snail toxins and their medical applications is
available at the What's New pages for 1999
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/newlog.html
1998 http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/new98.html
1997 http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/new97.html
1996 http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/new96.html
eg. at
http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/new98.html  go to entry for
17 October 1998  to obtain hot links for the following.

Point your browser at the following URL
[http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/archive/jama/vol_279/no_21/jmn800
70.htm] for and excellent summary of several talks given at a symposium on
the value of plants, animals and microbes to human health held at the Museum
of Natural History in New York, NY, June 1998.
Poisonous Frogs Fight Pain - John W. Daly
Complex Cone Snail Venom - Baldomero Olivera / George Miljanich
Snakebite vs Thrombus - Robert J. Gould
(The article appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association
(JAMA) 279: 1679-1681 (1998) )

Link here to the symposium The Value of Plants,Animals and Microbes to Human
Health, [http://206.139.182.46/website2/] held on April 17 and 18,1998 at
the American Museum of Natural History.
At this symposium, scientists, environmentalists and policymakers from
around the world discussed the link between conserving biodiversity and
sustaining human health and well-being. This website features biographies
and abstracts from each of the presenters, along with their speech,
presented through RealAudio.

 Among the many talks of interest are two on venomous cone shells and their
toxins:

"Learning Drug Design from Marine Snails": by Baldomero Olivera
[http://206.139.182.46/website2/bio_olivera.html]
- View the slides of this presentation
[http://206.139.182.46/website2/audio_olivera.html]
"From Killing to Curing: Venom Peptides as Medicine": by George Miljanich
[http://206.139.182.46/website2/bio_miljanich.html]

The first issue of Current Opinion in CPNS Investigational Drugs is
available FREE on the web [requires Adobe Reader] and contains a 14 page
review article [http://current-drugs.com/PDF/COCPNSv1n1/Ziconotide.pdf]  on
omega conotoxin MVIIA (aka SNX-111, Ziconotide) from Conus magus, by
Christine Heading entitled: "Ziconotide, Neurex Corp". Current Opinion in
CPNS Investigational Drugs (1999) 1(1): 153-166.

Another article of interest is : "Venom Peptides as Human Pharmaceuticals"
by George Miljanich, in: Science and Medicine, September-October 1997, pp.
6-15.

Two sites that provide an account of pain research with contoxins are at
URLs  :

http://members.aol.com/iq3d/News/index.htm
The Sunday Times UK, article of 23 May 1999, by Bruce Kemble, entitled
"Poisons from snail kills human pain", and

http://www.failedback.com/painresearch.htm
Information on "Pain Research" using Ziconotide, by Dr. Robert J.
Henderson, from Dallas, Texas, USA.

Bruce, Dianne, Andrew and Erica LIVETT
48 Nicholas Street
Ashburton
VICTORIA 3147
AUSTRALIA
Telephone at home : +61-3-9885-2947
Work: +61-3-9344-5911 Fax: +61-3-9347-7730
Email: [log in to unmask]