From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:39:03 -0600
Less than 50 years ago wolves and cougars were "bad animals".  At one time, even
National Parks had a policy of eliminating them so the "good" species could
thrive.  Well, we are much more enlightened now aren't we.  Everyone knows they
are "good" animals.
Or are we so enlightened?  Ellen's story about the Health Food Hippy knowing that
sharks are "bad" animals is a good example.  I have heard that sharks are hunted
just for their fins, and that thousands of sharks are killed by having their fins
cut off and then tossed back into the water to die a slow and painful death.  I
hope this is not a common practice and I hope that it is at least illegal.  If
sharks were as cute as dolphins this would not be tolerated.
I've seen quite a number of sharks in temperate and tropical waters and have
never been threatened, but I could be, and I know it.  When I go hiking in the
mountains I know I really could have a close encounter with a grizzly.  There are
many in our mountains.
As modern humans we are not accustomed to not being at the top of the food
chain.  When we encounter an animal that could potentially eat us we must realize
that they are almost completely in control of the outcome, unless we are armed.
It is up to them.  We are not used to this in our lives.  I think it is good for
us to feel that way sometimes - it puts things in perspective! I have never armed
myself, except with as much understanding of the animals and their behaviour as I
can. This is my choice and I know I could still be eaten!
Concern for personal safety is valid, especially if one has children with them.
People who feel uneasy (often rightly so) around sharks or other large predators
should probably carry repellents and know how to use them.  The animals don't
care whether they are officially bad or good animals.  They will do what they
will do.