From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:42:16 -0600
Ross reports ...Interestingly enough, about 2/3 are "unprovoked"....

Some reading I did awhile ago suggested that sharks have a territory or a 'personal
space' and they indicate their unhappiness with body movements when people invade
their space.  It is easy for divers to see when they have moved too close to a
shark, but an unwary swimmer may not realize that they have pissed off the shark,
and so although the attack seems unprovoked, it may not have been like that from
the sharks perspective.  This is of little comfort to the swimmer, but armed with
this knowledge, maybe swimmers who swim in waters where aggressive sharks may be
encountered would do well to wear goggles or a face mask so that they can see
what's below them.
Of course it is another matter entirely if the shark is regarding you as a meal and
not just as a threat.
Ferret's comment about the high fatalities from sharks when ships are torpedoed has
been explained to me thusly:
Sharks are attracted by electromagnetic stimulations in the water which can be due
to the ship itself or to the high concentration of panicked people in the  water.
Possible blood in the water will further whip up their (no pun intended) appetite.
I had even heard that sharks trailed wartime ships.  Either they were just
attracted by electromagnetic activity of the ship, or they learned from past
experience that a meal might be forthcoming (if someone opens the 'can' for them).
These war stories have always given me the major creeps, but thankfully, this
scenario is not one we will likely encounter in our peacetime cruises.
Hopefully these are still valid postings.  It's fun to contribute and I sure don't
know much about shells. (There, at least I said 'shell')

Nora
Calgary, Alberta