From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:27:49 -0600
For all the reasons you cited Andrew, my question was not a very good one and I
should have known that.  As fossil collectors we are well aware that exterior
morphology, which is all that a fossil is cannot really be taxonomically
slotted according to the best criteria which would involve charactericstics of
the living organism.  People who id fossils to species level, especially the
older ones in fully lithified sediments are probably deluding themselves.
What I should have asked is what mollusc "seems" to have the longest fossil
record based on shell shape alone, and this really stops at the genus in any
practical  sense as you note, or better yet what shell morphology seems to have
the longest fossil record.  I suppose one could stretch a bit farther than
shell shape if you had the fossils in-situ in their sediment and could make a
guess at habitat, but that's stretching it.  In other words, what are the
successful long-standing shell shapes, success here measured in terms of
durability over the ages. Interestingly the so-called primitive shell shapes
such as Pleurotomaria (and that little limpet-shaped thing, can't remember the
name right now) are still relatively unknown to us because we can't get at
them.  The pace of change is probably so slow in the abyssal depths that body
design can remain unchanged over aeons.  I wonder how adaptable the creatures
would be if they had to change, or have they lost their propensity for change
over the aeons and are now theoretically at risk.
Many of you have provided lots of genus level candidiates.  I like
Pleurotomaria.  We have fossils of pleurotomarid types in our collection back
to the Ordovician I think (Joe knows for sure).