From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 00:00:01 -0400
To carry the "Code" discussion further, there are 5 codes.  Two that have
been mentioned are the ones covering zoology and botany.  There is also
one covering cultivated plants, another covering bacteria and a third that
deals with viruses.  Thus in all 5 codes for nomenclature.
  Of interest there is a move afoot to develop a code that might replace
each of the individual codes and have a unified code for all life
sciences.  This proposed code is known as the BioCode.  If you do a search
for it you will find a web page that discusses it.  I unfortunately do not
have the address with me.
  I do not know if there has been any consideration of the BioCode in the
4th. edition of the Zoological Code which is currently being distributed.
Possible some of the more professional amongst us, (Jose, Gary, Tim,
Andy), may know about this.
  If I find the BioCode website I will post it.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine