From:
"Anthony S. Wall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:30:57 -0400
Vicky Wall wrote:

I have two favorite self-collected shells in my collection, Atlantic Carrier
Shells and a Conus cedonulli.  My first real collecting trip was in 1988 to
Eleuthera, among several shelling veterans! We had a great time. Before the
trip, I thumbed through Tucker Abbott's Shelling in the Caribbean book and when
I saw that carrier shells were a possibility in Eleuthera, they immediately went
on my wish list. About mid-way through the week we were shelling off a beautiful
beach near the airport. There were wide sandy areas among the eel grass. I was
just floating around when I spotted 4 carrier shells within a 6 foot area of the
sand. I was amazed! Two were alive and two were fresh dead. I took them in to
shore to show the others. Later that day I found 3 more (one had an old bullet
attached!)  No one else on that trip found any and Alta VanLandingham really
made me feel special about that. As for my Conus cedonulli, I tell my friends
and students that it is the best shell I have ever found and it was found in the
nastiest area I had ever snorkelled. We were in Grenada in 1989 and on a "before
dinner" snorkel near our cottages, I thought I'd give the cove a try. This was
the most depressing area I had ever seen. The coral was all dead and covered
with silt. There were abandoned car batteries down there, oil drums, and other
trash. The bottom was coarse gravel and just a mess. I was on my way back in
when I spotted the live cedonulli crawling on this awful bottom. It was still
daytime and I was in only 5 feet of water. I knew this was a pretty shell and my
first live cone and once again, Alta's praise on such a neat find made my trip.
I guess we shellers are like golfers and tennis players: we can "replay" our
great moments as if they happened yesterday!