From:
Joan Jass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:31:52 -0500
Dear Conch-L subscribers,

        Having taken to heart the many messages on the list a few months ago about
the high value for schools and other educational groups of seashell
collections even though they lack scientific data, I am now wondering how
to advise such donors regarding an evaluation of their donations.
        After determining that the shells lack data and therefore are not going to
be part of our scientific collection, I have assisted the donors in finding
such an educational recipient for their donation.  In this, as in many
cases, the boxes of shells are just part of a larger amount of household
materials or an entire estate being disposed of.  What the donor wants is
an estimate of value that can be used for tax purposes when reporting the
year's worth of donated items.
        Our museum staff are not allowed to provide evaluations.  The dollar
amount is probably not high enough to find and hire a professional shell
dealer to do an evaluation.  Any suggestions from those of you more
experienced in the financial aspects of the shell business as to how to
handle such a case?
        Thanks in advance for any advice.  Joan

J.Jass, Zoology Section, Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee WI 53233