From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:38:11 -0400
Andrew Vik

Dear All:

Thanks to everyone who replied with tips on the Florida East coast. I
know you all must have thought I was nuts to go there during a week with
such poor tides. I just needed to get away for a few days. After all, a
bad day shelling always beats a good day at work.

I didn't have much luck at all up around Jacksonville and St. Augustine.
The stiff winds kept the afternoon low tides from amounting to much.
Further down the coast, I did some screening for micros on the inside of
the passes. There was not much hurricane material left on the beaches
around Dade County. I guess I got there too late.

I finally ended up all the way down in the Keys, where I faired a little
better. I found many interesting micros under the rocks near Sugerloaf
Key, and my first live Strombus raninus at Missouri Key. It was very
hard to spot that S. raninus among the dozens of juvenile
S. gigas in the area.

Next time I go, I will actually PLAN ahead like I usually do.
It makes things so much more productive.

Andrew