From:
Nancy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:36:22 -0400
Hello again, you're friendly neighborhood novice begging advice from the
experts again....

On Cypraea especially, but any normally shiny shell really; how can you
tell if one has been artificially coated with a spray or such?  I have one
really different looking C. teulerei that I adore; it's very pale, almost
white entirely, with a few typical brown/grey blue markings however I have
suspected that this might have been dead collected and then coated with a
spray to reintroduce the shine; I'm not sure.  Are there tell-tale signs
that would verify this?  Or could this be a natural but unusual
coloring?   All of the C. teulerei I have seen images of are mostly dark
tan and brown in their overall color.

Thanks again to the more experienced out there.  :)

Nancy Smith