From:
"C. E. Pinkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:44:37 -0400
  Art..Hello Hello...I have an old suggestion for you and any other sheller
who might be interested, but since you mentioned putting oil on some shells
is too messy heres a solution I borrowed from a process we used in painting
artificial flowers.  In flowers its paint of course that is used instead of
oil but the process is the same.  Use a container thats large enough to
submerge the shell (or flower) and put the hottest water in it that you can
tolerate...on top float a drop or two of the thinest oil possible (or paint
if flowers is the thing you are submerging) and slowly submerge the article
through the oil(paint) ...You would be surprised at how it will do such
things as spiny type shells...spondylus, latiaxis ie...All you do then is
place on a paper towel and the water will run off leaving  the object nice
and shiny ..with very little residue.  This is one of the old suggestions I
used in our shell news when I wrote a helpful hint column for
shellers....under the name Shelloise...of course.
Now for the latest funny from my Aussie friend....
Seems a costume party was given and one of the guests showed up sans
clothing but with a girl strapped to his back...The irate hostess wanted to
know just what the guest had come dressed as....He replied...A snail....Said
she...but whats that on your back...says he...O thats Michelle.
Mique