Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:13:53 EST
James,

I use the plastic box idea Tom wrote about, and it works great for me. Each
little box has six compartments. I line those with half of a jumbo cotton
ball, insert specimen, and write a number with marker on the box right over
it (the boxes are clear plastic)  that corresponds to the data in my book.
They snap together pretty tight, and even when dropping them they stay
together.

For micro shells, I use cardboard and cellophane coin holders, you can buy
those at many coin shops. I prefer the "nickel" size. A heavy duty stapler
holds it together, and just write the number on the corner. Just make sure
the aperature of the shell you put in it shows clearly for ID purposes. I
only recommend this for shells for which you need a microscope for
identification.

For large gastropods, why not glue a data slip or number to the cotton that
is stuffed in the aperature for the operculums? They have very small
permanent markers; you could just write it very small in an inconspicuous
spot. I like to collect aesthetically as well, but I'd rather write small on
the shell, than to let my data be lost.

Scott
Riverview, Florida