From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 05:15:00 -1100
Hi All,

Thanks for the info, Andrew R.  During the summer I spent
a couple of hours digging out fossils in Leon County, Texas,
particularly looking for cones and cowries.  I found one of each.
Various people suggested that the fossils there were likely
Upper Cretaceous, but the cone shell appears to be Conus
sauridens Conrad, (?), supposedly from the Eocene.  Shells
from nearby deposits are certainly Eocene, but I'm not sure
if the layers overlap.  Many of the species I found are very
similar to present-day shells from the western Pacific, and
the cowry is no exception.  It looks almost like Cypraea
globulus, but has more distinct "flanges" at the ends, making
it appear less rostrate.  The aperture is slightly wider than
C. globulus at the anterior end, and slightly depressed, with
strong teeth that extend about a third of the way from the
aperture to the margins.  The margins of the shell do not
look like they belong to Pustularia, though.  They look like
figure 4b, page 467 of the L&H ...Cowries book.  The shell
is about 11mm long.  The more curved shape, different
aperture, and different teeth make me believe it is almost
certainly not Pustularia caribaea Schilder, 1939, figured on
page 474 of the same book.  Any ideas?

I contacted one of the local LARGE universities and asked
about references/papers that might have been done on
Paleocene or Eocene fossils from that part of Texas, but
didn't succeed in getting much information.  (They suggest-
ed that since I live in Pago Pago, I could collect non-fossil
cowries, and that they would be easier to identify...: )  I
doubt that the American Samoa Community College is
going to be much help in tracking down references, either.

Thanks as always,

Don