From:
"C. E. Pinkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:57:55 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, November 21, 1999 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: Fast Eddie

>The "fast Eddie" I knew was Ed Theiler from Long Island, NY.  I would like
>to say from the very beginning that he never cheated me..but here's the
>story.
>
>I started our shell club in '87.  Donald Dan asked me to write a little
>article for the Am. Conch., which I did.  Shortly after it came out, I had
>letter from this guy-Ed Theiler.  He wrote bad things about the Long Island
>Shell Club and its members and wanted to know if he could join our club.
He
>told me he owned either a bunch of boats or trucks (can't remember which)
>and he furnished fish to the NYC restaurants.  First of all, I figured if
he
>was doing that he should have been able to afford stationery, 'cause he
>wrote on note book paper.  Secondly, when he sent his dues, he sent a money
>order.  He also sent me a picture of himself--WHOA Nellie!!!!  And one
>Sunday he called me from a pay phone--big tycoon from Long Island.  Well,
he
>still hadn't done anything wrong.  So he paid his dues and wanted the
>members to swap shells with him.  I think a couple of others did, as did I.
>I really enjoyed this swapping, and was making out like a bandit!!!  Then I
>had a letter from him wanting to swap me a noble wentletrap for a precious
>wentletrap. He said he had the noble wentletrap. When something's too good
>to be true, it usually is.  And that's when I stopped the trading.
>
>I went to COA in Ft. Myers that year and happened to be sitting with some
>members of the LISC and Mr. Theiler's name was brought up.  I REALLY got an
>ear full, especially about their shell show, and the fact that shells were
>missing and presumed stolen.  (I believe it was Helen Madow I was talking
>to.)
>
>I have since heard other stories about him, but like I said, I got out of
>the trading while I was ahead.  When I didn't answer his letter about the
>epis., I never heard from him again.
>
>Carol

You asked and heres our output.
We had Ed Theiler call us several years ago wanting to trade shells.  You
could not name a shell that he didnt have a lot of...the rare ones...so dont
know why he wanted to trade.  He invited us to come visit him and his wife
on Long Island.  (Thats a good piece of highway between Warrenton, Va and
L.Island) At any rate we made an appointment and then called our old buddy
Walter Sage (at that time active member of LISC...after what he told us
about Fast Eddie we changed our mind about visiting Ed Theiler, called his
home to offer our apologies for not being able to make the trip and was
abusively sensored by his wife (?) for breaking the apointment.
Next we heard about this person was that he had moved to Florida and may
have been going by the name of Brown....
I can only vouch for the first paragraph but he wanted us to bring a
Tridacna gigas as trading material .....sure.....We're gonna lug a 300 lb
shell to N.Y.  !!!!!!!
We have heard other stories from mostly Florida people...there may be a
bundle to show up on this before it is over.
I dont want to be the one to black list any one but I can understand the
need for caution.   The entry of James Cheshire re Lyle Therriault bothered
me in that if he was paid for the shell before he sent it I cant understand
what his doubts were...perhaps he didnt say enough...but,,,seems he had no
cause to throw a shadow on the mans name and reputation if he didnt explain
further some discrepency in the dealings.
Just wondering......!!!!!!!  Did he think this might be the same as Ed
Theiler??

Cautiously Mique.