From:
Martin Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2015 14:10:45 -0600
A truer concept indeed.  The old way of navigating the Pacific
islands were stick charts.  They indicated the islands with stone
or Cowries.  The curves indicated the reflection waves off islands
and from this they navigated the South Pacific.   I can see the same
use by putting 'stars' in the sticks and pointing the way.

Martin